Could you teach the next generation of Brixton young riders?
This is an opportunity to be part of something special. Become a yard assistant and riding instructor at one of the most unique riding stables in London.
The Ebony Horse Club is a wonderful stables in the heart of Brixton offering young local children the chance to ride and interact with horses. You will be part of a young team of passionate people, making a real difference to young lives in the local community.
Job Title: Yard Assistant/Instructor
Responsible to: Yard Manager and then Operations Manager
Location: Ebony Horse Club, 51 Millbrook Road, London SW9 7JD
Hours: 40 hours a week including late nights, early mornings and weekends
Purpose of Role: This role involves all aspects of yard work and taking responsibility for the yard in the Yard Managers absence. It also involves working closely with young people, some with varied and complex needs. As an Instructor this role has responsibility for working with and teaching our young people to ensure they have an inspiring and enjoyable experience in a safe environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
To work with the Yard Manager to ensure the highest standard of care of all the horses at all times
- Assist with daily care of horses and ponies, including mucking out, grooming and feeding.
- Calling and dealing with the Vet if necessary
- Assist in clipping of the horses
- Plan daily workload for horses in conjunction with yard manager
- Regularly schooling the horses and ponies
To work with our young people in a professional and engaging manner at all times ensuring they get the best possible benefit from being with us
- Teach both riding lessons and stable management when necessary to achieve the highest standards in all aspects of their training.
- Teach a range of abilities from beginner to advanced, including schools, special school groups individuals and people with disabilities.
- Train volunteers and volunteer Instructors, assist in volunteer recruitment and induction training.
- To set up a system of recording rider progress on a regular basis and ensure this is kept up to date by self and other instructors.
- Develop, oversee and run training of apprentices, staff and volunteers to NVQ level 2 and BHS stage 1 and 2
- To work with Yard Manager and Operations Manager in developing commercial lessons.
To work closely with the Youth Team to support our Young People, some with complex and varied needs.
- Organise and take young people on trips and visits.
To assist with managing the volunteers on a daily basis
- Develop the team work of volunteers and riders to ensure standards on the yard are kept to a high level.
- Ensure volunteer training is kept up to date and recorded.
- Manage volunteers on a daily basis
Health and Safety
Maintain the highest levels of Health and Safety at all times
- To follow all EHC H & S requirements at all times
- To report any Health and Safety concerns to the Operations Manager as soon as possible
- To ensure that your actions do not endanger yourself or any other user of the EHC site.
- Ensure that accident report forms are completed in the event of an accident and filed away
To perform any other tasks as requested by the Operations Manager
- Cover other members of staff when necessary
- Demonstrate professionalism at all times
- Conform to the charities engagement programme
- Support our Business plan by working to achieve its aims.
- Attend regular team meetings and any other meetings as necessary and fully participate in any discussions.
- Assist the operations manager and fundraiser in any monitoring activities to support fundraising.
- To work flexibly at all times
Salary: £20,000 to £23,000 dependant on experience.
Contract Type: Permanent subject to a 6 month probationary review.