Do you have what it takes to support, train and inspire our young people?
We are recruiting a new Youth Worker to directly support, guide and train Young People aged between 8 to 25 years through a programme of planned, informal education to facilitate learning and increase achievement.
Join our small, enthusiastic staff team and great volunteers who support 140 Young People each week. Some opportunities to ride will be available if wanted. The job includes some evening and weekend work and work outdoors.
The ideal candidate will have worked in a community youth or support work setting for 3 years and ideally have some experience of sports development. They must have safeguarding experience and will either have experience working with horses or be willing to learn, as the job involves working with horses alongside young people.
Job Title: Youth Worker
Responsible to: Operations Manager
Location: Ebony Horse Club, 51 Millbrook Road, London SW9 7JD
Hours: 40 hours a week to include evenings and weekends
Purpose of Role: To use horse riding and other sports to improve prospects and have a positive impact on YP’s emotional wellbeing. To directly support, guide and train young people (YP) aged 8 to 25 years through a programme of planned, informal education to facilitate learning and increase achievement.
Duties and Responsibilities
Working with young people
To work with YP to support them in every way.
- To conduct out reach, recruitment and engagement with local YP to make contact, build relationships and to provide horse riding and other educational and sporting activities.
- To mentor, coach and support individuals to facilitate personal, social and educational growth in YP, providing a safe and supportive environment
- To build a network of referral and support organisations to compliment our services and the needs of the YP we support, and refer where necessary
- Work in partnership with professionals from other organisations that support YP such as social care, health, police and local authorities.
- To establish and build close relationships with key stakeholders including other local community groups, and charities. Other partnerships will include funders, social landlords, local schools and local residents associations.
- Raise the profile of the programme and activities at key community events and networking forums.
- To provide basic training to YP who volunteer
- To support YP applying for further and higher education by assisting with application forms, open days, interviews, grants and equipment.
- Ensure the effective recording and monitoring of our services for both internal records and for funding reports
- To manage the Youth Council to ensure that our YP benefit, and to stimulate and support effective participation by YP in the decision making process of activities undertaken.
Assist with the riding programme
- To assist the Riding Instructor and Yard Manager with the riding lessons and yard duties by helping to supervise our YP.
- Coordinate and communicate extracurricular activities.
- To work with Riding Instructor to identify YP who would benefit from outside activities.
- To organise trips, residential, summer programmes and other activities and ensure effective supervision in accordance with Safeguarding, Health and Safety and off-site guidelines issued by the London Borough of Lambeth and all relevant legislation.
- To accompany groups of members in off site visits
Use horse riding and other sports to improve aspirations and to have a positive impact upon YP’s emotional well being.
- Undertake high quality out reach work to positively engage local YP in riding and other sports.
- To manage summer programme of additional sports activities including climbing wall.
Health and safety/safeguarding
Maintain the highest levels of Safeguarding and Health and Safety at all times
- To undertake role of Child Protection Officer, to be main point of contact and deal appropriately with any related situations that might arise.
- To advise management on policy and procedures where shortfalls are noticed
- To attend regular training and development opportunities to maintain up to date knowledge of safe guarding and Health and Safety around YP.
- To follow all EHC Health and Safety requirements at all times and report any concerns to the Operations Manager as soon as possible
- To follow EHC Safeguarding policy at all times and report any concerns to the Operations Manager as soon as possible.
- To ensure that accident report forms are completed in the event of an accident and appropriately filed.
To perform any other tasks as requested by the Operations Manager
- Assist with lessons where necessary, including leading or running stable management sessions.
- As a key holder take responsibility for securing the site when closing up.
- Cover other members of staff when necessary.
- Demonstrate professionalism at all times.
- Assist the Operations Manager and Engagement and Funding Manager in any monitoring activities to support fundraising.
- To work flexibly at all times.
- Attend Trustees meetings as required.
- Work positively with volunteers identifying specialist skills and utilizing where appropriate
Salary: £22,000 to £25,000 subject to 6 month probationary review.
Contract type: Permanent